instructions

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER PHOTO

Sunday, November 25, 2012

New Vegan Brussel Sprouts Recipe

So I had to improvise since none of my vegan recipes for Brussels sprouts seemed well fancy enough for Thanksgiving. We had our Thanksgiving with Joe and his girlfriend Dez today. So I did a version from the bacon days using Smart Bacon. And it was shockingly good.

2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, ends cut off and halved, parboiled
6 strips of smart bacon fried, crumbled
3 T of olive oil (I'd change to 2 T next time)
2 T Maple Syrup
1 T Bragg's Aminos (like soy sauce)
1/2 c Pine Nuts

In case you didn't notice (I fail to see the directions that include cooking in the ingredients all the time so I'll repeat here):
1. Cut ends off Brussels sprouts then cut in half. Boil water. Parboil for 3 minutes. Drain in colander.
2. Fry bacon and crumble.
3. Added 1 T of olive oil to bacon since this was tofu bacon and it wasn't quite crispy enough to crumble.
4. Mix up remaining olive oil, syrup and Aminos. Add that, Brussels sprouts and pine nuts to a large bowl.
5. Decided I overdid the oil so before they soaked up the oil from the bacon I poured that out and mixed it into bowl and then put on cookie sheet. Heated up oven to 350 degrees and spread on cookie sheet and again drained off excess oil and roasted for 30 minutes.
It was delicious this way but I think if you decreased the oil to 2T total or even 1 and 1/2 then I think I would try sauteing in the pan to get that nice golden color on the sprouts. I also thought later Craisins would have also tasted good in this mixture.

Amid the white fly infestation

I used store bought sprouts because I didn't have enough in garden to for sure feed 7 people. Really ended up being just right for 4 people that like a generous amount of sprouts (since I should have known the kids wouldn't eat them). Like an American portion not what you get at June. (NOT dishing on June, as I believe they're portions are healthier and keep any of the tastes from overpowering the others).

June is an amazing restaurant in Peoria if anyone outside of Peoria IL ever reads this.
http://www.junerestaurant.com/
My favorite place to go on Birthday or Valentine's day if in Peoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment