instructions

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER PHOTO

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hugulkultur

Everything I've seen on Hugulkultur always starts with piles of wood.
Almost finished compost.
I was so bummed with this rainy weather. We have 3 day weekend and it's raining and forecast to continue all 3 days. So what in the world can I do outside to fulfill my need to garden? I haven't put the azaleas in my parent's backyard yet and that needs to happen. THEN IT HIT ME! HUGULKULTUR! No it's not a way to grow mushrooms but similar. In a woodland garden the forest floor is rich with nutrients from decaying leaves and branches. It just so happens that they have tons of wood and sticks in a pile in backyard, my leaf mold is aging in a dog pen, and what better way to make a nice bed for AZALEAS that like to live in the acidic, edge of the forest. HUGULKULTUR will be perfect.

Here's an example although this guy didn't use much other than wood. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/permacult/msg0413325228156.html

Turned over one row of the sod by the fence the rest I covered with  cardboard.
I watched a video a few days ago where they made a mound about 20 feet wide and 5 feet high with wood peices in the base then layers of straw, leaves, garbage, junkmail, newspaper, and manure layered up. I used wood, leaf/grass mix that's already started molding, finished compost, Better Earth compost, clay dirt from  my front yard, newspaper, cardboard. Not in that order actually. I can't find that video now which is a bummer because I think it was to reggae music. Here's a similar one but they didn't throw garbage in their pile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNd_v_Fs6w

Here's a how to document:
http://burlingtonpermaculture.weebly.com/uploads/4/2/8/9/4289790/hugulkultur_-_how_to_acidify_your_soil_naturally.pdf

Where's the video I watched?






Bricks will go around edge of many of these beds later.


Cardboard-Rotting Wood-Leaf Mold-Compost-Newspaper- Leaf  Mold- Compost -Leaf  Mold. Then letting it sit in rain this weekend and will add more after I see how it settles.

I can't find the video I originally watched. Guess I'm going to have to make my own. But too late. These pictures will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment